Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sorting Through the Library . . .

So Dame Imraldera was sorting through random documents in her library and she came upon a long-forgotten scrap of poetry written by our favorite bard!

Seriously, I don't remember him writing this. But he does try his hand at sonnets here and there, and Dame Imraldera thought this one was surprisingly lyrical for his poetic talents. She and I thought you might enjoy it:


O! Let the light of Lumé's effulgence strong

Be doused within the churning caldron sea,

Let the radiance of Hymlumé's sweet song

Be lost as though it never was to be.

Let all the airy hosts with kindred voice upraised

Be silenced by the clapping curtain Night,

Let all the farthest fields be scored and razed

'Till Near and Far must e'en give up the fight.

Yet we two, we happy two, would sit afar

Beyond this grieving din of silence fall'n,

And our laughter lift the worlds like shining stars,

Soothing ills with symphonies of lilting balm.

Our hearts will race the dark itself and never die

As through resounding perpetuity we fly!


Sadly, right beneath this poem, Imraldera also discovered another little rhyme:
 

Oh, Gleamden Fair, I love you,

Forever thinking of you,

Queens of old could only dream

Their limpid eyes would ever gleam

So bright, so clear as Gleamdren dear

The sweetest flower of Ruaine!

 _______


 In all seriousness, I truly did just find a random document among my files that contained nothing more than these two rhymes back-to-back. Rhymes which I have no memory of composing. I wonder if I was trying out a study in contrasts or something? Because I don't think you could get much more disparity between these two styles!

It gave me a laugh and seemed like something Eanrin really would do.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Eanrin! Really? I'm sure this is because he couldn't think of a rhyme for Imraldera... ; )

Sarah Pennington said...

I love that first poem. ♥ After the Shadowhand ballad, I think it's my favorite Goldstone Wood poem. :)

@Allison: Haha! I like that theory! :D

j said...

That is awesome!

ghost ryter said...

That fist one is one of the most lovely poems I've ever read. Well done...Eanrin. :D

Meredith said...

That first poem was especially beautiful! I loved the contrast between light and darkness and the depiction of the two companions' laughter despite the turmoil around them. Eanrin, I knew you had phenomenal writing within you! But, a poem's speaker does not necessarily mean it is the poet himself. So, I wonder if you are referring to you and a certain someone, or if you were musing about two others you might have met during your extensive travels? Hmmm?

It's truly amazing that you didn't remember writing these poems, Mrs. Anne Elisabeth. Great job! Thanks for sharing them.

Hannah said...

Oh, that is so lovely! Eanrin must have snuck them in when you weren't looking! Clearly, that poem needs to be in a book somewhere. Not the second one though. Sorry, Gleamdren. ;)

Merenwen Inglorion said...

:D :D :D
As excellent as this piece of verse is, did you have to tack on that ending? Eanrin, you incorrigible...pompous...pussy! (I've been wanting to say that ;) )
You couldn't have written something more along the lines of:
Oh, Maiden Sleeping, I love you,
Forever being haunted by you,
Queens of old could only dream
Their their fancy would ever gleam
So bright, so pure as Imraldera dear
The brightest star from the Near!
Or, you know, SOMETHING...
My apologies, Lady Gleamdren.
:D :D :D
Thank you for sharing, Mrs. Stengl!

I've been wondering, and this seems like a good place to ask: what is the origin of the name Eanrin?
Thanks!

God bless and many happy discoveries,
-Merenwen

Anonymous said...

Lovely, well 1st verse is.
Jemma

Christa McKane said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I've always pronounced Eanrin as "Ian(like the name)-rin."

Tracey Dyck said...

And I have always pronounced it EEN-rin. So which pronunciation is correct, Ms. Stengl?

Anne Elisabeth Stengl said...

The correct pronunciation of his name is "YAN-rin" . . . I believe. It's Gaelic, so one never knows for certain! But my research into the matter leads me to believe it should be "YAN-rin."

I tend to say "IAN-rin" like Christa does, out of force of habit. But technically, I'm saying it wrong. LOL.

The name is an old Gaelic name, and it does mean "Handsome." It's also a wee bit of a nod to my best friend, whose name is Erin. :)

Unknown said...

The dragon-eaten cat! I so enjoyed that first poem. It was so romantic and sincere.... But dragon's teeth! He should be ashamed of himself for writing that second! I really do wish that he would have just went through with the threat he made in Starflower and retract all of the little love-ditties he wrote her. Maybe he'll come around sooner or later.

I, like Michelle, have been pronouncing his name EEN-rin. I'll just have to start pronouncing it the proper way now. :)

@ Meredith: I'm finding myself very curious now. Who is it that you have in mind? There are, after all, a few happy couples in the Wood now.

ghost ryter said...

@Merenwen: Hehe, I love your poem!! : )

Tracey Dyck said...

I shall have to start saying his name correctly, then! Thanks for answering, Mrs. Stengl. :)

Meredith said...

To Natasha: Good question. I'm actually not sure. I thought perhaps it might be a reference to a couple we as yet have not met. After all, I think Golden Daughter is going to be quite epic with so much turmoil and destruction in it. So, maybe the heroine in that story grows to love someone. Of course, Una and Aethelbald's love is the best of all, so maybe Eanrin is speaking of them. Just speculations. God bless.